LIVE FROM THE HEADLINES
Students Involved in Hazing facing Many Disciplinary, Legal Actions
Aired May 12, 2003 - 19:44 ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.
ANDERSON COOPER, CNN ANCHOR: Several teenager will not be returning to Glenbrook North High School in Illinois anytime soon. The story's just remarkable. Today, the school punished some students involved in a brutal hazing incident. And they could be in for a lot worse. Here's CNN's Jeff Flock.
JEFF FLOCK, CNN CHICAGO BUREAU CHIEF (voice-over): To determine who to discipline, school officials went to the videotape. Actually videotapes, several students had camcorders. Those officials made out as responsible for the hazing got the ultimate punishment.
MIKE RIGGLE, PRINCIPAL, GLENBROOK NORTH HIGH SCHOOL: The school administration will be recommending that these students be expelled.
FLOCK: All discipline so far are seniors. Their parents coming to get them, they were escorted from school property.
RIGGLE: Expulsion means that students can no longer attend classes, enter the school campus or attend school-sponsored activities.
FLOCK: Also no prom and no graduation, though expulsions can be appealed.
TOM SHAER, SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER: The board still has the final word after the school presents all of its information and its recommendations to the hearing officers who will then present it to us for the decision that we are required to make.
FLOCK: And it might not stop with seniors. This statute in the Illinois high school code says participating in a fraternity, sorority or secret society is illegal. The powder puff game involved hazing and was held in secret. One source tells CNN it is not unreasonable to think juniors, the apparent victims, might be disciplined too.
And then there are possible criminal charges against both students and parents. Police and investigators spent the day at the school and say they have been told parents supplied the alcohol that fueled the binge.
DEP. CHIEF MIKE GREEN, NORTHBROOK ILLINOIS POLICE: The problem that we are having is that the people that are providing us with information, it is anonymous information. Nobody right now is forthcoming with information...
FLOCK: And, Anderson, nobody is saying, at least at the school, how many students. We talked to one student, however, said 19 girls were marched out today.
And we have just received this word, you knew it had to happen. One of those suspended girls has now filed the first lawsuit against the school district. She's a young senior named Marny Holes (ph), 18- years-old, has filed a lawsuit seeking a temporary restraining order that would prohibit the school from suspending her and potentially expelling her. The lawyers are involved already. Back to you.
COOPER: More than one or two, I'm sure. I'm sure there got to be dozens circling that area.
Are there any kids still in the hospital? How badly were some of their injuries?
FLOCK: We had a broken leg. To my understanding, all are A-OK now other than perhaps some emotional injuries beyond the physical ones.
COOPER: All right, Jeff Flock, appreciate it. Thanks very much.
TO ORDER A VIDEO OF THIS TRANSCRIPT, PLEASE CALL 800-CNN-NEWS OR USE OUR SECURE ONLINE ORDER FORM LOCATED AT www.fdch.com