Return to Transcripts main page


New Clues in Boston Marathon Bombings; Vigil for 8-Year-Old Victim; Envelope Sent to Senator Tests Positive for Poison

Aired April 16, 2013 - 20:00   ET


ANDERSON COOPER, CNN ANCHOR: Erin, thanks very much.

Good evening, everyone. We're coming to you live again tonight from Boston. We, of course, are tracking late developments here and there are many to tell you about.

On the presidential visit now scheduled for Thursday, on the investigations, the bombings, and on the bombs themselves. Parts of a pressure cooker found at the scene.

On this photo, as well, from local affiliate WHGH showing a bag next to the mailbox right where the first bomb went off. Was it one of the bombs? The FBI is analyzing the photo along with hundreds of videos and still photos taken before, during, and after the attack.

We will, of course, be talking about all of that tonight as well as breaking news out of Washington. A letter to a U.S. senator testing positive for the deadly poison ricin. Dana Bash is working her sources on that.

We've also learned more about those who lost their lives in the blast as well as the wounded and the heroes who rose in the chaos. We don't yet know much about the third person who died. We've just learned that she was a Chinese national, a graduate student at Boston University not far from here. Other details are not known.

Today we learned about Krystle Campbell, however, who died in the blast. She came yesterday to watch her friend cross the finish line. Her mom said she worked 16-hour days at a local seafood restaurant but was never too tired to share her love or to share her smile. Krystle Campbell was just 29 years old.

Martin Richard was just 8 years old, his mother and 6-year-old sister recovering from surgery tonight. That sign he's holding in that photo for a second grade peace march reads, "No more hurting people."

We'll talk more about Martin Richard tonight, three lives lost, dozens more forever changed. We honor them and also this strong city.

For all that has happened here, you should know that this is not a city under siege. This is not a city of fear. Yes, people may be holding their kids a little tighter, keeping their eyes open a little wider, but this is a city where today life and love and liberty continue. People went jogging today, they walked their dogs, they brought their children to the playground and to school.

Boston has been battered, but it is by no means broken, not now, not ever.

We've learned from 9/11 and perhaps what we've learned most is that in the face of horror and in the face of hate, we must all stand tall and stand proud and stand together. And never let anyone with a bomb in a backpack stop us from moving forward. Never let anyone with a bomb in a backpack stop us from finishing the race.

We do have a lot to cover in the hour ahead. Let's get a quick start -- just to quickly update you on where things stand right now.


COOPER (voice-over): Targeting the most photographed spot that day in a crowded city full of cameras may have shown terror. It may also ultimately seal the bomber's fate.

ED DAVIS, BOSTON POLICE DEPARTMENT COMMISSIONER: Any videos or photographs that happened, not just at that scene, but anywhere in the immediate vicinity could be helpful to this investigation.

COOPER: Though already looking at hundreds of videos and photographs searching for a face, a bundle, a bomb. Two devices, not more as first reported and feared.

GOV. DEVAL PATRICK (D), MASSACHUSETTS: All other parcels in the area of the blast have been examined, but there are no unexploded bombs. And there were no unexploded explosive devices found.

COOPER: And the two that caused all this, explosives and shrapnel packed into pressure cookers stuffed into sacks likely detonated by timers, not by cell phones. Also, a device a would-be bomber could find on the Internet. Crude, deadly and troubling.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: These pressure cookers are a technique that is used by the Taliban and by al Qaeda in Afghanistan. They're very effective weapons, they try to pick these pressure cookers up wherever they can. And they use them to make their IEDs.

BARACK OBAMA, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES: The FBI is investigating it as an act of terrorism. Any time bombs are used to target innocent civilians, it is an act of terror.

COOPER: Terror, he went on to say, murder, maiming, traumatic amputations by persons unknown, nationality unknown, allegiance unknown.

His Homeland Security secretary ruling out a broader plot. A high-level source going further.

BARBARA STARR, CNN PENTAGON CORRESPONDENT: Anderson, the senior U.S. official is now telling me that, quote, "There is no reporting indicating a foreign connection or any reaction from al Qaeda. COOPER: So it might be the video that tells for the forensics. The crime scene still hot, still active. It's already borne witness to ordinary people doing extraordinary things to stop the bleeding, to ease the suffering and to start the healing.


COOPER: Well, more now on the investigation. The FBI saying fragments of a pressure cooker were found at the scene as well as shreds of what might be black nylon bags. That plus new -- that new photo that we showed you a minute ago that might, and I repeat, just might show a bag at the site of the first bomb blast.

Drew Griffin and John King are with me here tonight, each working their sources, as they have been over the last 24 hours.

John, what are you hearing the latest on this one?

JOHN KING, CNN CHIEF NATIONAL CORRESPONDENT: Just got some information from a Boston law enforcement source that says in addition to the pressure cooker, they say it's undeniable, they have a twisted top of a pressure cooker, they believe it's about six-liter capacity. They believe it's two identical devices or very similar devices, but I'm also told a partial circuit board was recovered in the same area among the debris. That also has been sent to Quantico.

The suspicion, and they need to send this delicate -- but the suspicion is it was some part of the circuit board, was used as part of the detonation. And now this all goes off to Quantico. We go through this after airplane crashes. They essentially try to take every piece they can get, assemble it back together, try to recreate the bomb.

What they're hoping, Anderson, can they find fingerprints, can they find any kind of DNA, something from the backpack. And if you can't get personal identification items like that, look for serial numbers, brand names, at least try to figure out where was the pressure cooker, where might the bag have been bought. And then try to go from there and try to learn who might have bought it.

COOPER: Are you getting a sense from your sources about where this investigation stands? Because they are still appealing for help in terms of getting more pictures out there. They're giving out a fair amount of information which is sometimes kind of rare for the FBI.

KING: And you can tell from the special agent in charge today at this news conference, and Drew has a lot of experience with this, too. Making a public appeal, did you see anything? Talked to anyone who was talking about the marathon? Know anyone who had a heavy black bag in the days up to it?

It essentially tells you that they have a good idea of what happened but they have very little idea of who did it. They've looked at all the video. I was told by one source, there are frantic reviews of as much video as they can get. They have some possibles in terms of the devices and the placement, but I was told they have zero evidence, any evidence, that they could see, video as yet, as to a drop, a placement, an individual coming in. So stymied was the word one Boston law enforcement source used earlier today. And if you follow the history of past investigations like this, normally they piece it together 24 to 72 hours to get a god signature, or else you end up in a much longer piece-by-piece reconstruction and investigation.

COOPER: Drew, they have been talking about black nylon bags, and yet in this photo from our affiliate, you see a bag that looks like a light-colored bag. And again we don't know if that bag is germane to the investigation or not.

DREW GRIFFIN, CNN SPECIAL INVESTIGATIONS UNIT CORRESPONDENT: Right. And Special Agent in Charge Rick DesLauriers, who have -- I asked him specifically about that photo. He said, look, we're getting so many photos to analyze. But the one thing that they were specific about, Anderson, was these two bombs were both in black nylon bags. Could the nylon bag had been inside this other bag that we're seeing? They just don't know at that time but they're very confident that they're looking for black nylon bags.

And, you know, to John's point, they're asking store owners, go through your receipts. If you have any receipts of somebody buying two pressure cookers -- I mean, that's where this is investigation is going. Any tip like that could have -- help break it, but it just shows you that they don't have any tip like this.

COOPER: In terms of the device itself, the pressure cooker, I mean, we've seen this used before overseas. It's been described as crude, as unsophisticated. Explain what that means. I mean, this -- if it does not require a C-4 or a type of explosive.

GRIFFIN: It's complicated in that it's hard to deal with. But basically a pipe bomb, a pressure bomb, something with a pressure cooker, right, it's all basically the same. You take a metal object, you jam black powder in there, you get it as tight as possible and then you insert or have a fuse that lights it.

If the black powder or the gun powder would light and so much heat would build up inside that pipe or pressure cooker that finally would just -- pressure. That blast is actually -- the explosion, it's the seal breaking of the metal.

COOPER: And while we have seen these devices used overseas, these are also -- I mean that information you just said, that's widely available on the Internet. You're not saying anything that's not out there.

GRIFFIN: But -- but pressure cookers -- I've talked to a former ATF bomb expert and FBI expert, the reason you would use a pressure cooker and why it's rarely used in the United States, it's usually in jungles, buried in dirt. You're trying to protect your device from the environment. That's generally where they've been used. Colombia, Thailand, maybe even in Pakistan if they're going to bury. So it is kind of odd that they would -- they would use that here in a domestic setting. But, again, they don't know if this is domestic. They don't have any suspect at all.

COOPER: Right. It's also important to point out that this obviously is an investigation where all the resources and the intelligence community are being used and they will have a backlog of intelligence that they have to go through, intercepts, satellite intelligence, signal intelligence, which they can't monitor all this stuff in real time.

KING: They can't. And so what they tell you is from what they monitor on a daily basis, an hourly basis, or minute-by-minute basis, from known suspects, if you will, around the world, they had zero indication of any credible threat, either from an international group or any domestic credible threat against these events.

So now you go back based on what happened and what you do know, you check cell phone towers for local phone calls here. You also check those international conversations and you go back to run your traffic through suspicious groups around the world.

I will tell you -- again just speaking to this Boston law enforcement source, I spoke to a federal source earlier today, and a sense of, is it domestic, is it international, the answer I got from both is, we don't know.

To Drew's point, that type of a device, al Qaeda has used them, the Taliban has used them.

COOPER: Right.

KING: You see them in Pakistan. However, they have no -- nothing to trace it to any international group or any international individual and they do shrug and say sadly in today's age, yes, it's very rare, but if you want to learn how to do this, unfortunately, you can on the Internet.

COOPER: It's out there. All right, John King, Drew Griffin, we're going to have more on the investigation throughout this hour.

I want to go next to Gary Tuchman who's at a vigil just wrapping up in the Dorchester neighborhood.

Gary, tell us about what you've seen.

GARY TUCHMAN, CNN NATIONAL CORRESPONDENT: Anderson, the candlelight vigil has just come to an end, but people don't want to leave just yet. There's the sense of community and togetherness and a catharsis that's taking place here. And this was an amazing gathering because there were probably about 1100 or 1200 people here, and this was all word of mouth. This was just planned a few hours ago. People came with their candles and honored the three people who have died so far in this catastrophe.

And also, pledged togetherness to the people who have suffered so much here in Boston, whose loved ones are in the hospital and the people who are suffering.

We are only about a five-minute drive away from the home of Martin Richard, that's the 8-year-old victim, the youngest victim of this terrible bombing yesterday. And that's why it was set up here. But they were here to remember and honor everyone on this very difficult day.

But people right now just don't want to leave even though it's been over for the last 15 minutes -- Anderson.

COOPER: Yes. And we're going to have more about Martin Richard, 8 years old, one of the three who died. We're going to have more from Gary later on in the program.

Over the last 24 hours, the death toll from the bombings has held steady at three. Well, that fact changes nothing for those, of course, whose loved ones were killed. It is welcome news considering the horrific injuries that the bombs caused.

Tonight we know that at least 13 victims have had amputations. And while some of the injured are improving, not everyone is certainly out of the woods. There were more surgeries today, doctors said there will be more operations ahead. I went to one hospital and talked to a man who was wounded in the leg. We're going to talk to him a little bit later on in the program.

Our chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta joins me now.

Sanjay, you've been in the hospitals, as well. What are you -- what have you been seeing?

DR. SANJAY GUPTA, CNN CHIEF MEDICAL CORRESPONDENT: Well, you know, things move very quickly there. You've got to remember they got a call and basically within 15 minutes after that alert, that's when the patients started to arrive.


GUPTA: So as much as they talk about planning and doing drills for this sort of thing, that's all sort of in theory. But this was the reality for them. And also, you know, when you talk about a hospital like Brigham, it's a hospital literally has seen everything, but they hadn't seen this and doctors that had been there for 20 years said they'd never seen what they were about to see.

I talked to Dr. Ron Walls, he's the head of the emergency room over there, specifically about what happened when the patients actually came through the door. Here's what he said.


DR. RON WALLS, EMERGENCY MEDICINE, BRIGHAM AND WOMEN'S HOSPITAL: So we would have a team here, so we'd have a trauma surgeon and emergency physician. An emergency medicine resident. Maybe another surgical resident, at least two nurses. And at least one emergency services assistant who are technicians who help us take care of the patients.

And so we would get a quick report from the paramedic who is bringing the patient in or the EMT who's transporting them. They would give us a quick summary. And the most important issue of the summary for us is if it's not obvious, how much blood loss do they think there was? And so what has the patient been like in terms of blood pressure and pulse? Because that helps us guide how quickly we need to move on them.


COOPER: You know, you know I've talked about that golden hour and why so many troops overseas are being saved, why the casualty rates are low -- or lower as, you know, the rate that they are because of that golden hour and people get to be treated in that hour. That really took effect yesterday here because of the doctors on the scene.

GUPTA: Yes, there's no question. In fact, all the patients that ended up at Brigham did get there within an hour. Now some of that was serendipitous as you and I talked about last night because the ambulances were there on stand by.

COOPER: Right.

GUPTA: Had they not been there, they probably would've set up one of those tents that is similar to a tent that you see in a war zone to take care of patients right there on-site because it may have been just been too hard to get them to the hospital. So that made a huge difference. But ultimately, you know, you have some 400 surgeons at a hospital like this. You just heard Dr. Walls explain, they had about nine people around each of those gurneys as the patients were coming in.

You see the obvious injury, but you talk about a concussive blast. You can have an injury to the chest, to the thorax, to the abdomen with no visible external injuries. They had to pay attention to lots of different things. They have 42 operating rooms, they cleared seven of them right away.


GUPTA: And got those patients up there. So that was, you know, all within the first couple of hours.

COOPER: Also, I mean, what they're finding inside the patients is part of the investigation, ball bearings, BBs, carpenter nails.

GUPTA: Yes, and they confirmed that today. It can be very hard. And I've seen this situation because, you know, you do have debris from the area, and sometimes it's difficult to parse out what exactly is this, from where did it come. But we asked that question very clearly today, a couple of different ways, and they said without a question, there was evidence of carpenter nails, they used the word carpenter nails, and BB-like objects in those explosive devices. And when they explode they can come off at a faster velocity than bullets and that's why there's such concern. COOPER: Sanjay, appreciate your reporting today, that Sanjay has been doing.

As I said, I visited with the patient Ron Brassard at Tufts Medical Center. He suffered leg wounds, his wife was also hurt. She is at another hospital. Here's some of what he had to say.


COOPER: Tell me what happened.

RON BRASSARD, BOMBING VICTIM: We were at the finish line, you know, just awaiting a friend and I was there with my wife and daughter and her friend and then some family members of the runner, you know, Carmen Acabo (ph), we were here to watch her finish and, you know, the day changes real quick. I mean, you're -- we're just out there having a good time and laughing and smiling and then all of a sudden, you know, goes -- you know, it was just this explosion and very, very nearby. I mean, it was so close that you couldn't hear after the explosion.

COOPER: Really? So you couldn't actually hear anything?

BRASSARD: I couldn't -- I see people's mouths moving and stuff, but I couldn't hear anything and --

COOPER: How close were you to the first?

BRASSARD: I think we were probably about 10 feet away.


BRASSARD: When we saw -- on the news today we saw where the explosion occurred, the noise was I think scarier than the blast itself because it was so loud. I knew instantaneously that something had -- something bad had happened.

COOPER: Were you knocked to the ground?

BRASSARD: I wasn't knocked to the ground. I absolutely knew that I was hit with something because the pain that shot through my leg was incredible. But I -- you know, we -- I just kept -- my wife was right with me and I just -- was kind of hollering at her, where is Chris Star (ph), who is my daughter, and she said, she's right there because, you know, they were saying today the second explosion was 12 seconds later, but I'll tell you, it seemed like it was three seconds when you were living through it.

So, you know, you heard the second one and you wonder, is there a third, is there a fourth, is there a fifth? I instinctively just didn't want to look down because I knew something was wrong. But it was just a puddle of blood like, you know, the size of an oversized dinner plate and I took another step and there was another puddle of blood that size and another step, and I wasn't walking slowly, I was moving quickly, so I knew --

COOPER: So you were bleeding a lot.

BRASSARD: It was -- it was coming out at a kind of scary rate.

COOPER: Where was your leg injured?

BRASSARD: I didn't really find out until I hit the trauma room here downstairs. And -- you know, it wasn't -- it wasn't anything fun to look at. It was just -- it was just an open wound. It's just like a junk of the leg was just not there.

COOPER: So you have a friend who lost both of their legs?

BRASSARD: I do. From the time of the blast we didn't see. And unfortunately later, we learned that they were -- their injuries were worse. I mean, I had -- you know, one of my friends, you know, lost both their legs below the knee. And it's just -- it's just horrible.

COOPER: Are you angry?

BRASSARD: Of course. I mean this -- people died. I mean, people died.

COOPER: I've been talking to a lot of people today just, you know, around and a lot of people today say they don't want to live in fear. They don't want to make this event change the way they live. They want to kind of move forward.

BRASSARD: Yes. Exactly. You can't let people take control of your life like that. You just can't.

COOPER: Well, thank you so much. Appreciate it. Glad you're OK.

BRASSARD: Appreciate it. Thank you.


COOPER: Ron Brassard who is hoping that his wife will be able to move to the hospital where he is. There -- she's in a different hospital but she is doing OK. And our thoughts are with him and her and their family and all the others who are suffering tonight.

Follow me on Twitter right now @andersoncooper. Let me know what your thoughts tonight on this tragedy.

We do have breaking news from Washington. A letter addressed to a U.S. senator testing positive for the poison ricin. The latest on that next.


COOPER: Welcome back for our live continuing coverage from Boston. We have more breaking news tonight. A letter that tested positive for the deadly poison ricin was intercepted at the U.S. capital's mail facility in Washington. Said the letter did test positive for ricin. It was addressed to the office of Republican Senator Roger Wicker of Mississippi.

Now the letter is undergoing further testing. Senator Wicker now has a protective detail assigned to him.

Our chief congressional correspondent Dana Bash joins me now live with the latest.

Dana, you confirmed this story first from a tip from our own Mike Brooks. The initial testing was positive. Further testing is going on now. What's the latest you've heard?

DANA BASH, CNN CHIEF CONGRESSIONAL CORRESPONDENT: Well, Anderson, we can now report from the Senate Sergeant-in-Arms Terry Gaynor that the envelope did test positive today at the actual lab. So they feel confident that at this point it is a positive test for ricin. Of course they had this initial test, as you pointed out, in the field office, which are historically not that reliable. But this was done in the actual lab.

The other thing that we can report is the exterior markings on the envelope sent to Senator Wicker were not outwardly suspicious, but it was postmarked from Memphis, Tennessee, which is not far from Wicker's home state of Mississippi.

The other thing we can report is that it had no return address and at this hour we reported earlier one senator thought maybe there was a suspect in custody. We can report that it is still an ongoing case that is not -- that is not true.

The other thing that we can tell you is that Senate officials are taking precautions. They've closed the postal facilities and I believe we have a picture of one that -- there you see it. The one where this particular letter was sent. They closed them for two or three days while the testing goes on, while law enforcement continues to investigate.

So this is something that is very, very important to senators as you can imagine and they got a briefing just earlier tonight about everything that has gone on.

COOPER: We should also point out that mail at the capitol doesn't go directly to congressional offices anymore.

BASH: It doesn't. The first stop for capitol now is that offsite facilities which -- like the one we just showed you. It doesn't come directly to the capitol complex. And there's a very specific reason for that, exactly what we are seeing tonight. The concern that people will send things that are toxic or poisonous, and that is because of what happened back in 2001. A couple of Senate offices received letters that were laced with anthrax. Senators say tonight that they're happy that this process changed all those years ago because in this case the process worked.

COOPER: Dana, appreciate the reporting. Thank you very much.

Joining me right now live is former New York City Rudy Giuliani. Mr. Mayor, I appreciate you being with us. I'm just wondering -- I mean, you had obviously experienced with a city that's come under attack. This is the kind of attack the big cities have been on the look out for and really concerned about for years now.

What do you make of where this investigation is?

RUDY GIULIANI, FORMER NEW YORK CITY MAYOR: Well, you know, this is the kind of attack that I thought and I think many others did was going to happen quite frequently after September 11th. So I think we have to first say we're fortunate that we've been able to stop so many of them. I think the government has done a good job of interrupting many of these attacks that could've taken place.

This one is really horrible. Horrible because of the death of a young child, the other fatalities that took place, the injuries. The reality that no matter how hard you try, no matter how good a job you do, and I have no doubt the Boston Police did a great job in policing the marathon, these people, whoever they are, can get through. And we don't know yet what this is.

Is it ideologically based? Is it some kind of an insane situation? There's no way of knowing right now, you know, exactly what it is. All we can do is speculate.

COOPER: In terms of, you know, fears. I talked to so many people today, they said look, we don't want to live in fear. We don't want this to change the way we live. And I think that's -- that's an important message to get across, but at a public event, there's no way you can have 100 percent safety.

GIULIANI: No question about it. I mean, I've faced it many, many times when I was mayor of New York. We almost canceled the marathon in 2001 because it was shortly after September 11th. Big debate about whether to go forward with it. We almost canceled the millennium celebration in 2000. I think they canceled the one in Seattle as a result of terrorist threats.

And while they're going on, you wonder, did you make the right decision? And you actually just say a little prayer. I remember getting up at the -- at the celebration in 2000 thinking, well, if anybody's here, I'm dead.


So -- I mean, so these are -- these are threats we've lived with. But the reality is, and this is hard for people to absorb a day after an attack like this. This is not the way you're going to die. I mean, the reality is there are many, many more things that threaten us far more than terrorism. These are terrible when they happen. It's hardly any solace to someone who's lost a child, or lost an arm or -- but the reality is, the threat of terrorism is sporadic and then the way they -- the way they use it, they sort of spread that fear by frightening us so much.

COOPER: I also feel a sort of a sense of defiance among people here that I think we've really learned from 9/11, a sense of kind of fighting back. And I think we saw that in the -- in the heroism of the first responders.


COOPER: And also citizens who, you know, just rolled up their sleeves and ran toward the blast to help those in need.

GIULIANI: Well, that was terrific. Wasn't it, Anderson? I said that to Mayor Menino tonight. It reminded me of my firefighters and police officers and citizens on September 11th. As soon as I got out of the building, we were trapped, and the first thing I looked for was how were they acting? How were they reacting? And the way they were reacting was very brave, very calm, helping each other.

Firefighters, police officers going in, trying to take people out. And when you look at that film footage, you see those firefighters and police officers jumping over -- jumping over the fence it looks like, and then some of the runners jumping over the fence headed right for the flames. And boy, that gives you a sense that these people in Boston are pretty darn tough, just like the people in New York.


GIULIANI: And just like the people all over America.

COOPER: Yes, I talked to a man, we just played part of the interview, in a hospital today who was wounded. And he said the first people who got to him were actually runners and the first thing they did is they rip off their shirts and made tourniquets to try to stop the bleeding on his leg. And I just think that's such an important kind of image to put out there.

Mayor Giuliani, I really appreciate you being with us tonight. Thank you.

GIULIANI: Thank you. Very good coverage, Anderson. It's really terrific.

COOPER: Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

GIULIANI: Thank you.

COOPER: It's a privilege to be here in this city at this time.

Just ahead, we're going to talk to some of those people just like the ones you've been -- you've been talking about who ran into danger to save lives. We'll be right back.



UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Is that blood on the sleeve?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: My pants, my clothes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Show me that flag.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The flag, that was a flag I was holding the whole time and this is how the flag ended up carrying the blood of the victims.


COOPER: That's Carlos Arredondo, he helped save lives yesterday. He came to the marathon to honor his two sons, one of whom died in Iraq, the other whom committed suicide.

As we mentioned in the previous segment, he was not alone. In fact, he's here tonight joining us live with Dr. Natalie Stavas, a pediatric resident of Boston Children's Hospital who was about to cross the finish line running with her father when the bombs went off. I appreciate both of you being with us.

Carlos, your family has been through such tragedy with the loss of both of your sons. Explain what happened yesterday. You had people running here in honor of your sons when the blast went off. What did you do?

CARLOS ARREDONDO, HELPED VICTIMS/MARATHON SPECTATOR: I was right in front of the first blast and on the street underneath the stage and the first reaction when the first bomb went off was to run into all the crowd trying to help see what we can do at the time.

COOPER: Are you trained to do that? Because I mean, a lot of people's reaction would be to run away.

ARREDONDO: Well, I'm a member of the Red Cross, the Massachusetts based group. I'm sort of trained in some way to disasters, you know, and --

COOPER: And when you ran into the crowd, what did you see? What did you do?

ARREDONDO: Well, the first thing I saw was a lot of dangerous in the floor. You know, people who lost limbs and broken legs and immediately, you know, we started to clear the area, the fence in particular.

And then I need on the ground to help this young man who lost both of his limbs and tied up to stop the bleeding as quick as we can and get him out of there as soon as we can because it takes time to get the seriously injured out.

COOPER: Doctor, you were running with your father.


COOPER: What happened when the bomb went off? STAVAS: The day started off so well. My dad and I were running together, enjoying the beautiful day. We actually came here pretty close. We were coming up on to Boylston to the finish line. We heard the explosion. We didn't know they were explosions. We kind of all stopped.

There was confusion amongst the crowd. There were police immediately running into the streets. The word bomb was kind of trickling through the crowd and they started barricading the streets. And I just said I have to be there. I have to help.

And so I jumped one of the barricades, started running up the street and turned on to Boston and ran past quite a few people -- quite a few policemen who were trying to get me to stop.

I finally ended up running into one who stopped me and I said I'm a pediatric physician. You have to let me help. You have to let me through and they did, and they allowed me to proceed on to the scene.

COOPER: Weren't you exhausted? Just ran a marathon. Did you find you suddenly had new energy?

STAVAS: You know, you do. I don't even -- I didn't even feel pain. I was hurting coming in the last mile, how can I finish this, and suddenly I didn't feel pain. I was surreal. I was going as fast as I could running down the final stretch trying to get there as fast as I could.

COOPER: You're a doctor. You're obviously trained to see blood, to see casualties and death. You see mass casualties. I talked to a lot of doctors who said I'm stunned by what I saw.

STAVAS: It was horrific. It was the worst thing I've ever seen.

COOPER: What did you do?

STAVAS: Before that -- the first -- the first person I came upon was a young woman who was lying on the ground. She was -- I approached her, she was unconscious, her legs were badly injured. I actually immediately started CPR on her.

And started CPR, people were stopping the bleeding and are trying to stop the bleeding when we got her on the stretcher into an ambulance. And I don't know what happened to her.

The second person that I saw -- so I kind of kept going down Boylston and the second person that I saw was a woman who had a sharp object had impaled her groin. And I took her shirt and basically packed her groin with the wound and tried to triage her quickly into an ambulance.

The third person was a young man whose foot was severely mangled. I got someone to give me a belt, it goes on, some sort torniqued it in his leg. It was unbelievable.

COOPER: One of the things that I do think is important to talk about and just get across is just that -- people use the word heroism a lot. But the heroism of both of you to run toward what with all rights you could have run away from. And to do whatever you could. You saw that all around you. You saw people trying to do what they could.

STAVAS: People were, my gosh, people were trying to do the best they could and everyone was there. And everyone was helping. There were hundreds of people like us who were trying to do their best. We couldn't do much. You know, we have -- didn't have much to work with, but we did what we could. And very thankful for everyone that was there.

COOPER: It's an honor to meet you both and thank you so much.

STAVAS: Thank you so much.

COOPER: Carlos, thank you so much. Thank you. Amazing.

Coming up, it restored your faith in man. You can see the darkness and horror of it and there was plenty of that yesterday, but there were also great acts of humanity and compassion and kindness.

And we just heard two people who risked their lives and didn't have to do that but did. And we saw so many people like that. And we hope for the days ahead to tell you more of those people's stories because they really made a difference.

Remembering those who lost their lives in the tragedy, 8-year-old Martin Richard, a bright energetic boy, big dreams for his future and also 29-year-old, a young woman, Krystle Campbell, who went to watch the marathon every single year. We remember those victims and we're going to tell you a little bit about their lives coming up next.


COOPER: Welcome back. We are learning more tonight about the three people who lost their lives in the Boston bombing. The Chinese consulate in New York has confirmed that one Chinese citizen was killed. She was a graduate student at Boston University, but her name is not being released at the request of her family.

We do know the name of 29-year-old Krystle Campbell of Arlington, Massachusetts. Her grandmother says that she never missed a marathon, always watching at the finish line. She just loved to be there cheering people on. Krystle's mother gave this statement about her daughter.


PATTY CAMPBELL, MOTHER OF KRYSTLE CAMPBELL: She was -- anybody that loved her. She loved her dog. She used to -- she was all smiles. I can't believe this has happened. Such a hard worker at everything she did. It just doesn't make any sense.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: What kind of daughter was she, ma'am?

CAMPBELL: She was the best. You couldn't ask for a better daughter.


COOPER: Tonight, we also remember Martin Richard, just 8 years old, bright energetic boy from Dorchester, Massachusetts. Gary Tuchman has more on the little boy whose life was ended far too early. Take a look.


GARY TUCHMAN, CNN NATIONAL CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): This is how Martin Richard will be remembered. The beaming 8-year-old boy holding a sign in a picture taken last year when he participated in a walk to promote peace in inner city Boston, the sign declaring no more hurting people and the word "peace."

This is also how he'll be remembered. As a brother and son, Martin was attending the marathon with his entire family on Monday the finish line in Boston's Back Bay. His father, Bill, and older brother, Henry, on the lower left were not hurt.

But his mother, Denise, and younger sister, Jane, were seriously injured. His sister who was a dancer lost a leg and may lose part of the other leg. The father releasing a written statement describing this real life nightmare, "My dear son Martin has died from injuries sustained in the attack on Boston.

My wife and daughter are both recovering from serious injuries. We thank our family and friends, those we know and those we have never met for their thoughts and prayers. I ask that you continue to pray for my family as we remember Martin. We also ask for your patience and for privacy as we work to simultaneously grieve and recover. Thank you."

In front of the Richard family house in the Dorchester section of Boston, friends and neighbors left flowers. We talked to the next door neighbor who saw Bill Richard when he came home Monday night without his son, daughter and wife.

JANE SHERMAN, RICHARD FAMILY NEIGHBOR: He looked like he was in a state of shock and I said, bill, he didn't answer me, he walked very slowly into the house. So his friend came over and I said is everything OK. He said no. Martin was the little boy that was killed and I was speechless. And I didn't -- I think he probably said something about Denise and the little girl, but I was really --

TUCHMAN (on camera): His wife and daughter.

SHERMAN: Right. And I was in such a state of shock. I didn't even hear what he said. I started to cry and I said, if there's anything I can do, please just let him know I am here.

TUCHMAN (voice-over): This is also how Martin will be remembered. A Boston Bruins fan, attending a hockey game at the Bruins' home rink and he will also be remembered like this, a faithful boy who regularly attended church with his family and friendly and smart too as his school said in a statement.

Martin was a bright, energetic young boy with big dreams and high hopes for his future. We are heartbroken by this loss. Martin's relatives took to Twitter to write about the 8-year-old.

One cousin saying, "I love you, Martin. You will be in my mind forever and ever." And Martin will also be remembered this way from an aunt on Twitter writing, Martin, you were the sweetest, funniest boy. I'm going to miss you so much, but now you are an angel."


COOPER: Still so unbelievable. Gary Tuchman joins me now. Gary, you were just at a candle light vigil for Martin and for the other victims.

TUCHMAN: That's right, Anderson. The vigil came to an end at the top of the hour. It was really amazing because it was word of mouth and there were probably between 1,000 and 1,200 people in this park only about 5 minutes away from Martin's home.

But the event was held to remember all three of the people who died and also notably everyone here paid tribute to the first responders who really did such a magnificent job -- Anderson.

COOPER: Gary, appreciate that. Joining me now is Bill Forry, a friend of the Richard family. Bill, I'm so sorry for your loss. What was Martin like?

BILL FORRY, FRIEND OF RICHARD FAMILY: Wow. Martin was a remarkable young man, just a kid really, 8 years old. A wonderful athlete, a bright student, he loved the Bruins. He loved Red Sox too. Headmaster at the school I was talking to him before we came on-air and he wanted me to emphasize he was not only a great athlete.

But he was also a great student, very compassionate, very caring. When there was another student struggling in their class, they turned to Martin to help tutor them along and just a very quiet kid, but a compassionate kid and somebody who is a leader.

COOPER: Obviously, we don't want to do anything to intrude on the family's privacy. But Martin's mom and sister are also in the hospital?

FORRY: Yes, I'm sorry to say that Denise, his mom, took a wound to the head with shrapnel and she's been in surgery. And his little sister, Jannie, wonderful sweet girl also lost a limb, lost a leg.

COOPER: And she was just started doing dancing.

FORRY: Yes, she's an Irish step dancer, loves it. You know, everyone I've talked today, one thing they've said is, if anyone's going to bounce back from this it's Jannie, she's a pistol. She is a tough kid, energetic and I don't think her dancing days are over.

COOPER: Yes. Well, I certainly hope not. I know you haven't talked to Martin's dad. The family, I mean, they'll never be the same, obviously.

FORRY: No. We've always thought of them -- we've lived in the same neighborhood and I've had the pleasure of covering them for the local newspaper. And it's one of those families that anyone would want next door to them.

COOPER: They are civically minded.

FORRY: The social life of that neighborhood almost revolves around them and their house. They're so inviting and welcoming. They've done so many things in our community to improve life there. And we've also thought of them as one unit. Almost like a singular, the Richards, they're always together. Anywhere they go, sports field, school or church, you see all five of them and that's no longer the case.

COOPER: And we saw the community coming out for them tonight. No doubt will be there for them in the days --

FORRY: There's no question Boston's going to rally, Dorchester's going to rally in a big way for this family. But obviously we are still concerned about the health of both Jane and Denise.

COOPER: They're in our thoughts and prayers.

FORRY: Thank you.

COOPER: Appreciate it.

FORRY: Thank you.

COOPER: Just ahead, more on the hunt for the people or group responsible for this act of terror, some new developments today including these photographs that showed before and after images of one of the explosion sites.

Local affiliate WHDH took them and has shared them obviously with the FBI. The question is do they contain any clues? The backpack, the bag that you see there circled on the left, is that germane to this investigation? We'll get our experts take ahead.


COOPER: President Obama made it clear today the bombings in Boston are being investigated as an act of terrorism and the FBI was just as clear asking the public for help.

Joining me now is CNN contributor and former U.S. assistant secretary of Homeland Security, Juliette Kayyem and also CNN national security analyst Fran Townsend, and CNN contributor and former FBI assistant director, Tom Fuentes.

First of all, Juliette, what do you make of these photos the local affiliate had that show what looks like some sort of a package at the, really, epicenter of the bomb site. JULIETTE KAYYEM, CNN CONTRIBUTOR: Certainly some information and right now, investigators are talking to people a couple of hours ago who are involved are looking at it. It seems to be in a good location in terms of where the detonation occurred.

What I think is most interesting is that it is consistent with what we heard from the FBI earlier today, which is something that was wrapped in black and was delivered by a bag. And that sort of was the first hint that they think the guy was here, the perpetrators were on- site and they dropped something so all of this seems consistent.

On the other hand, it's too hard to tell, at least, from the two different slides we saw whether in fact, it wasn't something behind the spectators and that piece sort of blew up with it. But it's definitely that's the kind of information they need.

That what we're hearing is they have photos of say, here, and photos of here, but they don't have is right in the middle. Do they have a picture of a guy dropping something or several people dropping something that's why they're asking the public for all this information and the media as well as we saw in this case.

COOPER: Fran, last night we urged caution about authorities talking to a Saudi national who was wounded in a blast. Authorities are now saying that person had nothing to do with it. That he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Do you have any sense of what kind of leads they have tonight, where this investigation stands?

FRAN TOWNSEND, CNN CONTRIBUTOR: You know, Anderson, federal law enforcement officials have been saying that they're going to talk to a lot of people. We shouldn't put too much weight when we see that because they've got a leads to follow.

You know, Juliette talks about -- there are pictures, frames, you know, before the blast, after the blast, but there'll be hundreds of frames in the middle. You know, investigators have emphasized the vast volume of material that they have to go through.

And on top of that, they've got to match that up to the forensics that are now down at the Quantico bomb lab, the FBI bomb lab in Quantico. So they'll take the forensics.

And what they can learn from that, they'll have to match that to photographs and interviews and cell phone records and all of that to try and piece together what is really a very complicated puzzle because of the size of two separate crime scenes.

COOPER: Tom, the details about the type of bombs, the pressure cookers filled with nails, ball bearings, BB-like objects. Does it tell you anything about who could be behind it? It's a very common type of device, not a very sophisticated device. Does that make it harder to identify a signature on the bomb?

TOM FUENTES, CNN CONTRIBUTOR: Yes, it would make it harder, Anderson, because you can go to any appliance store or, you know, major supermarket probably and buy pressure cookers or these type of a container, let's say, to put an explosive in.

The way an explosive works is really something that's burning very quickly. Black powder is an incendiary when it's contained and trapped, and in this case, the pressure cooker would contain it. It builds up pressure inside as the gas expands and eventually just blows out of it.

So whether you get a pipe bomb and have caps screwed on both ends or whether you buy, you know, an appliance, it's already ready to seal shut. It serves the same purpose and would act in the same manner.

COOPER: You know, Juliette, last night, I kept saying let's not be speculating. I don't want to speculate. I turned on the news today and I'm not going to say who it was, but I've seen on other channels.

A lot of people speculating, I hear people talking about al Qaeda, the Taliban. These devices, though we have seen them used overseas in Afghanistan, we've seen them used in other countries.

KAYYEM: That's right.

COOPER: And they're available on the internet.

KAYYEM: So this bomb that apparently -- that is in the magazine, the al Qaeda magazine, people say, that might be a clue. You know what else is in that magazine? AK-47s, rifles, handguns, it's cheap weaponries. It's villains and criminals likes to kill people cheaply. That's all that is.

So the fact that some people use in Afghanistan or Pakistan does not lead us anywhere. I want to say to that point on the press conference today. I've never seen a press conference like that. The FBI had two messages, one was, we need your help and the second was we're in no hurry.

We've got time on our side. Governor Patrick said the same thing. People should not expect by Thursday we'll be here with a guy in handcuffs. This is -- this could be similar to the Atlanta Olympic bombing. And I think what we heard today was sort of preparing the American public for the wait. This is not going to be an immediate --

COOPER: We live in the world of 24-hour cable news. So we kind of think this is all happening.

KAYYEM: Tomorrow the story will be over --

COOPER: The point is you were obviously very involved in the Atlanta bomb investigation. It was seven years before Eric Rudolph was finally brought to justice. You have no doubt this could take a very long time.

FUENTES: Yes, it could. And you know, everybody's exactly right as far as the expectation and speed. People think that this is like an episode of CSI that after five commercial and within 60 minutes they ought to be solved. And the amount of data that has to be analyzed, the forensic data, the phone calls, other information is just -- it's just a mess, and even with all the investigators at their disposal, it's very, very difficult.

Compounded by the fact that we don't have a specific group saying we get it, we want you to know we did it. Here's proof that we did it, which would obviously accelerate the conclusion of the investigation. So this is extremely difficult material to go through.

COOPER: And not just a lot of domestic intelligence information from the last 24 hours to go through, but also intercepts from overseas, satellite intelligence, signals intelligence. You can't really track this stuff in realtime.

Fran, I appreciate it. Juliette, thanks for being with us again and Tom Fuentes as well. We've been talking about it all hour. Is a city shaken by what happened but also a city that's staying strong and standing tall.

There are difficult days ahead, no doubt about it, but the courage and resilience of those who called this city home has been evident from the moment the bombs went off. Today, President Obama repeated his promise to bring the killers to justice. He also the people of Boston are proof that Americans will prevail.


BARACK OBAMA, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA: The American people refuse to be terrorized because what the world saw yesterday and the aftermath of the explosions were stories of heroism and kindness and generosity and love.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I looked down and there was a person who was bleeding on the street. They were right off of the sidewalk just laying down and luckily this restaurant was helping them. And it was great to actually see people teaming up together to help the people that were in need.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Exhausted runners who kept running to the nearest hospital to give blood and those who stayed to tend to the wounded, the first responders who van into the chaos to save lives.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: You see on the video now, all these guys jumping over fences trying to help out. People activated immediately whether they were volunteers or the Boston police.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: The men and women who are still treating the wounded at some of the best hospitals in the world and the medical students who hurried to help saying when we heard, we all came in.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I thought that I would be one of the first people there because I was 25 yards away, you know, from the finish line when the bombs went off and by the time I got there, there were so many first responders and volunteer physicians, it was -- I've never seen anything like that. PRESIDENT OBAMA: The priests who opened their churches and administered to the hurt and the fearful and the good people of Boston who opened their homes to the victims of this attack and those shaken by it. So if you want to know who we are, what America is, how we respond to evil, that's it, selflessly, compassionately, unafraid.


COOPER: This is a city that was bruised and bruised badly yesterday, but not a city that is broken, not by a long shot nor will it ever be. That does it for us. We'll be back live from Boston one hour from now, another edition of "360" at 10:00 p.m. Eastern, all the latest developments then. Thanks very much for watching. "PIERS MORGAN LIVE" starts right now.