Return to Transcripts main page


Back to Boston: Moments of Impact

Aired May 18, 2013 - 20:00   ET


ANDERSON COOPER, CNN ANCHOR: Good evening. I'm Anderson Cooper.

It's been over a month now since the deadly bombings here in Boston and there's been time now to reflect and to really investigate what happened. Tonight, we focus on several iconic images from the terror attacks and its aftermath.

We are going to meet the photographers who took the photos and we meet the people in them to try to really understand that moment and how it's changed everything since.

A.C. 360's Randi Kaye has our special report.


UNIDENTIFIED MALE: To me, there's something inherently powerful about the still image. It's a moment frozen in time.

RANDI KAYE, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): The images we will always remember of five days we can never forget, stories of a gravely wounded mother and daughter.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Who would think that she would have survived that?

KAYE: And a man instantly losing both legs.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Next thing you know, I hear fireworks and I'm on the ground.

KAYE: Stories of heroism, of saving lives and springing in to action.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Couldn't really think of, OK, was this a terrorist?

KAYE: Stories of unexpected moments, of a shoot-out and an unusual milk delivery.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I didn't think anybody would believe me if I told the story.

KAYE: Stories told by these photos frame by frame.

JOHN TLUMACKI, PHOTOGRAPHER, "BOSTON GLOBE": I could see the blood just coming out of her body. It was that horrific. I mean, it was just shocking at first to see and then for me to make my way into it and decide what to shoot and not to shoot. I mean, is -- this isn't the worst photo I have taken that day, but it's pretty bad.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Part of the American sports scene since 1897.

SYDNEY CORCORAN, BOMBING SURVIVOR: I was with my mother, my father and my aunt Carmen Acabbo. She was running the marathon. She's my mom's sister and we're all very close, so we wanted to support her.

CELESTE CORCORAN, BOMBING SURVIVOR: We were tracking Carmen through our cell phone as to where she was in the race. So when we knew she was getting close, we decided to, you know, go to the finish line.

KEVIN CORCORAN, BOMBING SURVIVOR: We weren't there more than seemed like 15 or 20 minutes before everything happened.

C. CORCORAN: It was just the loudest noise I have ever heard, so, like, from that second, both my eardrums got blown out.

K. CORCORAN: As I recall seeing the people behind me pushed getting back from the blast and even Sydney falling backwards and getting tossed back, and I just kind of was pushed down.

The smoke and debris and everything just went past me. Everything became a gray cloud of dust.

C. CORCORAN: I just remember being sort of thrown and I remember things hitting my face. I remember just trying to breathe.

K. CORCORAN: And by the time I turned back around, everybody who was in front of me was now on the ground. I turned around and there was nobody in front of me.

I thought that, OK, where's my wife? And I just slowly looked down and I see her and her eyes are open, so I realize, all right, she is OK. She is OK.

TLUMACKI: My first look at the scene of the bodies was over the fence and straight on. And I saw Celeste. I guess time just stood still for a moment.

C. CORCORAN: I just looked down at my legs, and I just saw blood and bone. And I just immediately was like, no, no, like I couldn't -- I couldn't comprehend. It was sort of like a panicked feeling, like I wanted to just change it. Like, no, this couldn't have happened. No.

K. CORCORAN: She's bleeding and her feet were literally almost totally separated from the rest of her body.

You knew right away that there was no way they were going to be able to repair the damage. It was just too, too far gone, too catastrophic.

I immediately just took off my belt and put it on one leg to try to stop the bleeding.

TLUMACKI: You can see right there Kevin's just tightening a belt on her. She's struggling to look up. I just feel so bad. I mean, I look at that and it's just -- it's not good.

K. CORCORAN: I had turned around after I put the belt and just looked behind us, and I couldn't see Sydney at all. She was immediately lost to me, which was so scary. I have to just hope and trust that somebody has her and is taking care of her.

KAYE (on camera): Do you feel like you had to make a decision that day between your wife an your daughter?

K. CORCORAN: Yes, of course, a little bit, although it was an easy decision because I was there with Celeste and with her wounds. I wasn't about to leave her to go find Sydney, because I knew we could get separately extremely quickly and easily.

KAYE: Did you understand what was happening?

C. CORCORAN: I did. I did. And then, I said, is Sydney OK? And he said, I think she is. And I didn't worry about her after that.

I think I knew how gravely injured I was. And then I think then I asked my husband, are my feet attached to my legs? Because I knew it was bad. And he said, yes. So then I just remember sort of holding on to that and thinking, OK, I'm going to get to a hospital. I'm going to have surgery. They will be able to fix them. It's going to be OK.

K. CORCORAN: I didn't tell her how bad it was, even though I knew in the back of my mind they weren't going to be able to save them. I just kissed the side of her face and just -- I tried to relax her. I was just trying to get her to be comfortable, because I knew she was in pain.

C. CORCORAN: I think there's no words to describe it. It's just excruciating. I'm going to cry. I just remember he was -- he was so good. He just tried to keep he calm. As soon as he had the tourniquets and he had someone -- I think someone was with him putting pressure.

I just remember it hurt so much, them pressing down on me, but I knew that they had to do it. And then I just remember him like lying down next to me and he was just touching my hair and just saying, you know, I'm with you. I got you. It's going to be OK. I'm going to get you out of here.

KAYE: And you trusted him?

C. CORCORAN: Absolutely.

KAYE: Did you think you weren't going to make it?

C. CORCORAN: I think at first. When I first looked down and the pain, and I remember thinking like, it's too much. I'm going to die. But then -- and sort of like, almost like I wanted to. But, like, you know, right on the heels of that, I was, like, hell no. I can't. I can't. I'm not going to die. I can't. Like, I won't.

I remember, you know, them taking me out of the ambulance and I remember all the emergency room people, everybody frantically doing things, cutting clothing off. I remember feeling my arms and my hands, like, pins and needles everywhere. They just kept telling me that I was doing good and I was doing OK while they were working on me.

And I don't know if they had to straighten out my legs. I just know that they manipulated my legs, and I did scream then. And then one doctor, I remember, came over to me and he had a paper, and he said, I need -- we need your permission. You need to sign this to amputate. And I just remember sort of like taking a breath. And I looked at him and I'm like, you really have to amputate my legs? And he said, yes, we do.

So then I was just like, OK. I just knew that the pain had to stop, and for the pain to stop, they needed to put me under, and if they had to take my legs, then so be it.

TLUMACKI: Then as I got through the fence there, there I found Sydney. I lingered. You know, something about her struck me. She just had that look on her face. Basically, she was helpless. She doesn't know what's going to happen to her.




TLUMACKI: My first photos were of Sydney's mother being helped. And then as I got through the fence there, I found Sydney. I lingered. You know, something about her struck me. She just had that look on her face. Basically, she was helpless. She doesn't know what's going to happen to her.

S. CORCORAN: We were very close to the first bomb. I don't think I will ever forget it.

It was -- the first went off and, immediately, like, your ears feel like they just have like plugs in them or something. And it's very faint, but you can hear people, like, screaming. I don't remember going down on the ground but I remember, like, kind of, I don't know, coming to and seeing everyone around me. And then I was getting scared, and I knew what happened, because so many people were grabbing at my leg.

TLUMACKI: I didn't know who -- who she was. I just saw a woman laying on the ground being helped by a man wearing a red T-shirt with his baseball cap backwards.

The closer I got with my camera and I was shooting, it was almost like he was whispering to her and he was comforting her. In one frame, he was holding her head off the ground and he has right hand on her chest almost checking to see if her heart was beating.

I heard people saying, oh, she's hurt. She's really hurt. Somebody else was trying to stop her from bleeding to death.

ZACH MIONE, BOMBING SURVIVOR: There were two gentlemen that were assisting Sydney. And one of them asked for a tourniquet and kind of just had me take over from what he was doing. So, I tied it off and just kept my hands there.

S. CORCORAN: I could see, like, my leg. Like, it was open. And it wasn't good. I knew it was bad.

MATT SMITH, BOMBING SURVIVOR: We got there and from the bottom of her right knee, all the way up, she was open and the first gentleman was worried about her artery and he's -- we were worried. But we just tried not to show it.

MIONE: When I was helping her, you know, I kept my hands and I tried keeping pressure, but I would say to use -- my head was on a swivel, so to say, and there was just so much -- there was just so much, and it was awful. It was awful.

S. CORCORAN: I would almost have these moments where I would start to freak out a little and cry. And then I would kind of just like look around again and try to get a better grasp of what was happening, but I would keep having like those like little moments of panic.

TLUMACKI: And at one point, she was looking up straight up, and then she lifted her hand and put it on her face. It was almost like she couldn't take it anymore.

But I just remember also the -- how hard these guys were working on her.

S. CORCORAN: I definitely remember Matt first, because he was so close. Even if he was holding my leg, his face was always there. He asked me, like, do you want me to stay with you? And it was a familiar face from the moment it happened, so I said, yes, like, yes, I want you to stay with me.

And I remember him, like, telling me, like to grab his hand and, like, he kept saying, come on, buddy, stay with me. Like, keep your eyes open. I remember asking, like, like, what's going on, asking where my parents were and if they were OK. And I think I was trying to ask, like, what happened to my leg? Do I have my legs?

KAYE: Do you remember how he responded to that?

S. CORCORAN: He was saying, like, you're OK. You're going to be OK.

SMITH: Her face was white. Her eyes were white. You know, you look at her and you don't know. You honestly don't know.

S. CORCORAN: My entire body from head to toe was like going to sleep, and it just felt tingly, probably from, like -- as soon as I was on the ground, it started to feel tingly because the blood was leaving me so quick. And I started feeling really, really, really, really cold.

TLUMACKI: And Sydney's just, you know, turning pale. I just remember people saying, where's the EMT? We need a stretcher.

KAYE: Do you remember what you were thinking while you were laying there on the ground?

S. CORCORAN: I remember thinking, like, if I had lost my parents, and I really thought, like, I was going to die. And I thought like I was fading.

KAYE: So there was a time where you thought you weren't going to survive this?

S. CORCORAN: Absolutely. And when I was in the ambulance, there was a time when he had to brake, like, incredibly fast, and I remember feeling the blood just like come out of my leg, and it was warm all over. And I thought, like, I'm bleeding out, like, I'm not going to make it to the hospital.

TLUMACKI: And she got to the hospital. She was, you know, basically on her last breath with -- you know, losing a lot of blood.

S. CORCORAN: I remember massive amounts of pressure being put on my leg, and it was very painful. At one point, when I was finally in the hospital room and the emergency room, and I just remember asking like, when are you guys going to put me out? Like, I just want to go to sleep, like, just put an end to it.

KAYE: So tell me when you first learned of Sydney's condition and when you first saw her.

K. CORCORAN: All of the families were in one room, and the vascular surgeon came down and asked for the Corcoran family.

So, we brought us -- he brought us into a separate room, and that's when he described the wounds. And he said that, without a doubt, she had a mortal wound and if it wasn't attended to when it was, that she would have died, and she was minutes away from bleeding to death.

KAYE: When was the first time you saw Sydney and could speak to her?

K. CORCORAN: She had the breathing tube in her. She realized I was there. And since she couldn't talk, she was actually trying to talk to me.

So I asked the nurse in the room for some paper and a pen. And I had actually -- before she started writing stuff down, she asked me about mom. I could clearly understand that. So I told her what happened to Celeste. And, of course, Sydney -- it was -- just a single tear just rolls down her face. So then I got the paper. And one of the first things that Sydney wrote down was that, when she first woke up, she thought she was an orphan and that we weren't with her anymore.

S. CORCORAN: I was terrified that they had both died. And I was so scared that I was only going to have my brother left.

So I just said, like, OK, like, OK. I just want to see my mom. They put our beds side by side, and we just grabbed on to each other and just looked at each other and just started crying. And we just said, like, we love each other and we were just happy we were alive.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I could feel the force behind me pushing, and my legs started going like just spaghetti. I had no control. I was going down.




KELVIN MA, FREELANCE PHOTOGRAPHER: The images that stuck with me the most are the ones of all the people who thought nothing of themselves, to run back in to that scene not knowing what was there or if it was even safe to help people, help the victims.

I am a freelance photographer. And I am also a staff photographer at Tufts University. This was my third straight marathon. The finish line of a marathon is a special place. Everybody there is in such high spirits, because, you know, they just ran a marathon.

JEFF BAUMAN, BOMBING SURVIVOR: I was with my girlfriend's roommates, and we were having a great time. You know? We were watching the runners. And just that one guy, you know? He didn't look like he was having a good time. He just didn't seem right. He was there, and then he was gone, and then boom. Next thing you know, you know, I hear fireworks and I'm on the ground.

MA: You hear all this cheering and then a loud boom goes off, and then silence. And then the second one went off, and then it got really loud and chaotic.

I knew it was bad when I saw people kicking over gates. I mean, these are the big barriers that, you know, the police set up. People were just throwing them down, running on to the course. I had never seen anything like that.

CARLOS ARREDONDO, BOMBING SURVIVOR: The first scene I saw there was all these bodies on the ground and missing limbs, broken limbs, people crying.

MA: Once I got up above, I just saw just people everywhere. That's when I realized how bad it was, that I started seeing people with pretty horrific injuries. I recognized Carlos Arredondo immediately because he's very active locally. You know, I saw the hat.

ARREDONDO: I went straight down to the ground to help Jeff, but immediately after that, I look at his legs. I asked for help. Here, somebody, help.

BAUMAN: When he came to help me, he -- he was crazy. His adrenaline was definitely, definitely kicking.

ARREDONDO: I pick up Jeff on the floor. I pick him up, and I set him in the chair, and I told him to hold on, hold on. And I told the lady, we have to rush. We have to rush. Let's move it. Let's move it.

BAUMAN: Actually, when Carlos picked me up and threw me into the wheelchair, then I was like, all right, maybe I am going to make it, but before that, no way. I thought I was done.

MA: As he was pushing Jeff out, Jeff's lower body was obscured, and then we saw -- the "Herald" photographer standing next to me was -- he just started, you know, screaming, you know, oh, God. And he turned. He turned his head. I looked down to make sure he was OK. And then I kept on shooting.

ARREDONDO: But I ended talking him all the way to the ambulance, which I pick him up again, and I put him in the bed, and that's the last time I saw Jeff.

MA: To me there's something inherently powerful about the still image. It's a moment frozen in time. It's that memory that you can hold on to. It doesn't just pass. It's right there for you to see for -- you know, forever.

KAYE: Is there a story behind that photo, do you think?

MA: Yes. I mean, Jeff Bauman survived, you know? And then he regained consciousness and pointed out the suspect. And it's just that -- that little glimmer of hope that, you know, this guy made it, thanks to all these other people who rushed to help him. It's proof that, you know, love for your fellow man and compassion will win out over evil every time, and so that's helped me process a lot of -- a lot of the stuff that I saw.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Boston is different. That's the big one. Everybody wants to do Boston. I felt good, and I was going to sprint a little bit right at the end there. And everything was going fine until that big explosion.

JAVIER PAGAN, BOSTON POLICE DEPARTMENT: It's the only holiday we're not allowed to take off, so we all work marathon Monday. But it was just a peaceful day. It was a beautiful day, and boom.

TLUMACKI: It was a grand finale at the Fourth of July, that loud last bang that shakes your stomach and makes you rattle a little bit.

KAYE: So, immediately after that first bomb exploded, you kept shooting. You kept taking pictures. TLUMACKI: I kept shooting. I didn't stop.

PAGAN: I never expected something like that to happen at the finish line, so I was -- I was in shock.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Watch out. Watch out.

TLUMACKI: They didn't know what was going on, but I'm just reacting to what they were experiencing.

PAGAN: Once you heard the second blast, you started realizing, this is for real. There's people now all screaming and running in all different directions.

TLUMACKI: My mind is trying to digest that, but I'm looking in front of me of the runner, Bill Iffrig, who falls to the ground from the explosion.

David Ryan, the other "Globe" photographer, was up on the photo bridge. He's got a longer lens, so he can see way down the race course on Boylston Street. The explosion goes off, and I ran towards Bill. I made those photos of Bill, and then there was a brief moment where I turned back and I looked at David. And I looked up at the photo bridge, and I just wanted to make sure he was all right.

BILL IFFRIG, BOSTON MARATHON RUNNER: I could feel the force behind me pushing me, and my legs started going just like spaghetti. You know? Had no control. I was going down.

KAYE: Why Bill Iffrig? What drew your lens to him?

TLUMACKI: Maybe he was the first victim. He's the marathon runner. An old timer who wants to finish the marathon. It's everybody's dream to finish the marathon. It was just an instant. It was like, you know, a 5,000th of a second that that happened. And when I look back at that photo, I just think it tells the story.

IFFRIG: Yes. I'm very lucky. I start getting emotional about it but yes. It was pretty close.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: And I called my husband, and my husband's a retired sergeant of NYPD who was there for September 11. I called him. I said, you know, "There's a lot of casualties and I'm fine but I, you know, just I love you."

TLUMACKI: When you have the camera in front of your face you're invincible and shielded from every emotion in the world. It just wasn't that way that day.

And it was almost like if you took your eye off the camera, you would be like oh my God, is this really happening?


TLUMACKI: That was my first view of bodies and carnage and legs, you know, blown off. That's when it hit me. That's when I realized that this was, like, the worst thing I've ever seen in my life.

NATALIE STAVAS, BOSTON MARATHON RUNNER: It was a very special day for me. I was with my father, who was running the marathon with me. I was actually feeling a little nervous that morning. I was nervous I was going to let my father down, because he had trained so hard. The first 25 miles I was feeling good. I was feeling strong. It was still a challenging race but I was feeling good.

We had run past the sign that says you have one mile to go, and you honestly don't know how you're going to get through that last mile, but you know you have to. It's the home stretch. And we heard the bombs go off.

TLUMACKI: And I'm literally right on that finish line tape, and I get thrown back a bit by the explosion.


TLUMACKI: I heard people saying, "Oh, my God. No. This can't -- no, this can't be true."

Nobody could get to the victims on the sidewalk. Race officials saying, "Rip this down. Rip the fence down." The police, EMTs and volunteers just rip the fence apart.

STAVAS: I just knew I had to get there. I knew if something was that bad that I had to be there. To help. And I jumped over the barricade.

KAYE: Tell me about that barricade.

STAVAS: So I remember, yes, my foot hurt so bad and I remember I was thinking I'm going to have to jump. I'm going to have to jump over something to help these people. I remember thinking, I can do it. I can do it. Your foot doesn't matter. People are dying.

KAYE: So you push through something like that.

STAVAS: Yes. And I started sprinting as fast as I could towards the finish line. I remember running through the crowd. People were running down the street. People were running every which way. Policemen were running at me, trying to get me to stop. I said, "I'm a physician. Please, you have to let me through." And he must have seen the fear, the devastation, the horror in my eyes. Whatever it was he saw, he let me through.

TLUMACKI: I kept shooting. I didn't stop. I kept shooting. And then, it wasn't until I moved up closer to the railing and the fence that I actually saw what had happened. It was probably 15 bodies just kind of like leaning on each other in one area. You know? People helpless. Just looking up.

STAVAS: I just went to the people I saw. Quickly running as fast as I could to the people I saw. And thinking, oh, my God. There's another one. Oh, my God, there's another one. TLUMACKI: People were smoking. Their bodies were smoking. You know? Their faces were charred. Their clothes were ripped. And, you know, Nicole Gross, one of the victims from Charlotte, North Carolina, she's sitting on the ground. She tried to get up, but she couldn't get up and her legs are all, you know, torn up with shrapnel. And she had that look on her face in shock and disbelief.

KAYE: Tell me what you see when you look at that photo.

STAVAS: I see what I felt. That day. I see the pain. And I see the fear. It brings back the smell. And the taste. Of the smoke. And the smell of the blood. I saw so much blood. You know if you're smelling it and you know if you're seeing that much something truly horrible has happened.

KAYE: Who was the first victim that you reached?

STAVAS: There was a crowd of people at what is now known as the second bombing site, and they were gathered around a woman. There were a lot of people helping. We were -- we were packing her legs with towels, and we were doing CPR. She had such bad injuries to her legs.

KAYE: Gaping wounds?

STAVAS: Yes. Gaping wounds to her legs. We got her in an ambulance. All I can say is we tried our best. We really did.

TLUMACKI: One of the most gruesome things was, you know, a horrific image that I still deal with is one of the women who died. And there was a Boston police officer who leaned over, and she was putting both fingers on her throat to check her pulse. And, you know, it's just her leg was ripped off. And I can't -- I can't look at that picture. It's just so -- it's so difficult.

And it was almost like if you took your eye off the camera you would be, like, "Oh, my God, is this really happening?" And I think it was important for me to just keep photographing it, document it for the world to see. I mean, I think the world needed to see the horror of this -- this terrorism attack.

ANDREW KITZENBERG, WITNESS TO SHOOT-OUT: As soon as that spark went off, that's when I hit the ground, covered my head and took cover.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: One-one-one, patrol. We have reports that they have explosives here at the scene. There are explosives here at the scene.


KITZENBERG: I have never fully felt the power of a photograph up until the last ten days. All the pictures I took and the few that I've shared have been incredibly helpful in understanding what transpired outside of our house.

I was just on my computer watching a hockey game.

KAYE: Something outside caught your attention.

KITZENBERG: It was a loud noise, like a pop noise. I immediately got up and went to the window, because I didn't know whether it was gunfire or not and being in Watertown, on Laurel Street, gunfire is the last thing that I would ever think is happening outside my house.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: In the area of Laurel Street. Suspects in the area here. The suspect is in the area.

CHIEF EDWARD DEVEAU, WATERTOWN POLICE: The two brothers stopped, got out of the vehicles, immediately started shooting at my officer.

KITZENBERG: I see two people behind the black SUV that are engaging in gunfire. I immediately ran upstairs to my bedroom. As soon as I got to my room, I actually jumped on my bed, went up against my window and started taking pictures with my cell phone.

I was crouched, and I was kind of in a position trying to stay somewhat below the window, thinking that that would give me some type of cover.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: One of them goes and pops the trunk of one of the vehicles.

KITZENBERG: I could see a kind of a small metal, silver metal tin, circular tin at their feet, and I knew what that was.

KAYE: That was the pressure cooker?

KITZENBERG: Yes. Moments later, I saw them light it. It actually sparked kind of like a fuse, and as soon as that spark went off, that's when I hit the ground, covered my head and -- and took cover.

DEVEAU: Then there's a tremendous explosion.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: One-one-one, 1-1-1 control. We have reports that they have explosives here at the scene. There are explosives here at the scene.

DEVEAU: Now they're throwing bombs at my officers while they're also shooting at them.

KITZENBERG: The explosions, which happened not 30, 40 feet from my house, could absolutely feel them from my bedroom.

DEVEAU: We found the pressure cooker lid embedded into a car further down the street there.

KITZENBERG: It had filled the street with smoke. As I looked out the window and saw the smoke kind of dissipate, I saw one of the suspects running towards the officers. And he actually got fairly close to them, within at least 15, 20 yards. DEVEAU: And they're literally about ten feet away from each other exchanging gun fire.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hand grenades. Hand grenades and automatic gun fire.

DEVEAU: One of my officers was able to tackle him and put him to the ground.

KITZENBERG: As that happened, then I looked back at the SUV, and that's when I could see the second suspect getting back into the SUV and...

DEVEAU: He comes, starts roaring down the street. And they dove out of the way as he came roaring through and ran over his brother.

KITZENBERG: There's actually still a marking on the street of where he was.

KAYE: And you watched him just plow through those police cars?

KITZENBERG: Yes. That's the thing I could see clearest from my window is the SUV barreling down the street and just going right in between the police vehicles, kind of sideswiping a couple of them.

This is actually the blast mark from the pressure-cooker bomb, and it's rained quite a few times since the night of the shooting. And it's still a very clear mark on the street.

DEVEAU: They were intent on killing more people. And it was here in Watertown on the back street where seven of my officers had stopped them.

KAYE: Were you at all concerned that you were going to die that night?

KITZENBERG: A few minutes after the shooters were off our street, and I saw a bullet hole in my roommate's wall and through his computer desk chair, I very quickly realized the true severity of what had happened and the harm that could have been done here.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There was a very tense situation and he is very intimidating with the gloves and the guns and the glasses on and the ear piece. And then he has two gallons of milk.


KAYE: What do you see when you look at that photo?

MCKENZIE WELLS, WATERTOWN RESIDENT: An officer that definitely went above and beyond to help a family out on a day that they couldn't help themselves.

KEVIN WELLS, WATERTOWN RESIDENT: We obviously watched the news all night.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Several explosive devices were discharged from the car at the police officers.

K. WELLS: We knew that one guy was on the run.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There's an active search going on at this point in time.

K. WELLS: Is he in somebody's basement? Is he in a garage? That's when it started to sink in that, oh my God, I can't believe they didn't catch him.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: There is an active incident in Watertown right now.

KAYE: What was it like to be on lockdown?

M. WELLS: It was just kind of scary to know that you were locked in your own house.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: (UNINTELLIGIBLE) is advising all Watertown eastern residents to remain in their homes.

M. WELLS: Definitely, I mean, not a situation you ever, ever think you'd be in, especially in Watertown because it's a safe, happy, little town.

KAYE: So tell me a little bit about Holden.

K. WELLS: He is -- he's great. He wakes up probably 6 a.m. in the morning, and the first thing he says is "Cheerio, Dada, Cheerio." And I have to go get him his bowl of Cheerios. And then he says, "Momo, momo." And that's more milk is what he wants.

KAYE: What on earth do you do trapped in a house with a toddler all day?

M. WELLS: Well, we kept him occupied with books, snacks.

K. WELLS: The whole day, he was bringing his coat by: "Outside, outside."

"No. We'll go out on the sun porch. We'll play out there."

M. WELLS: I was making mac and cheese for lunch, because that's what we had and it called for one-third cup of a milk. I saw that there was, like, very little left in the cup and very little left in the gallon. So I was like, "Oh, this is not good."

And my mom was, like, "We should go ask the cop." So she walked down the stairs and went outside, and the officer came running down. And she said, "I have a 17-month-old grandson, and we're out of milk. Is there any way we could get some?"

He's like, "The baby needs milk, we'll go get it."

K. WELLS: I was on the sun porch playing with Holden, because he wanted to go outside. And I hear Holden going, "Momo, momo." I think he knew.

Then I see the officer walking down the hill with the two gallons of milk. I went down and thanked him a lot and said, "Hold on. Let me get you some money for that."

And he said, "Don't worry about it." He wouldn't take any money. You're on lockdown, and police are in the backyard. Police are in the front yard. I didn't think anybody would believe me if I told the story. And I took that picture, and I posted it on Facebook.

KAYE: When you look at that picture, what do you see on his face?

K. WELLS: I see that he's got a lot on his mind.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: If you hear or see anything suspicious, call the Watertown Police Department.

K. WELLS: Looking back on it, it was a very tense situation, and he is very intimidating with the gloves and the guns and the glasses on and the earpiece. And then he has two gallons of milk like, you have some other things on your mind?

KAYE: Did you think your photo would...


KAYE: ... go viral the way it did?

K. WELLS: No, no. I've never -- I probably -- and I joke with my wife, I've probably posted on Facebook myself maybe four times in my entire life.

M. WELLS: I woke up and had messages from all sorts of people and texts saying, "So and so is sharing your picture," and they don't even know you.

KAYE: Does it surprise you that Officer Bradley doesn't want to be on camera?

K. WELLS: No. It's the same reason he didn't take the money. Seems like, you know, this wasn't the first time that he's done something like this. So to him this is not a big deal, and he was just doing his job in his mind. But it was a big deal for us, and it was a big deal for a lot of people who saw that picture.

KAYE (voice-over): Celeste and Sydney are on the mend. And John Tlumacki has met them for the first time.

TLUMACKI: I don't know how you guys are so -- can be so strong the way you are. It's so inspirational.

KAYE: Jeff Bowman (ph) reemerged Boston strong.

Bill Iffrig is still running.

IFFRIG: I'm not going to quit doing anything.

KAYE: Natalie Stavas and Andrew Kitzenberg are back to business.

And Holden Wells, he has plenty of milk.