Return to Transcripts main page
CNN News Central
Two People Now Accounted for After Apartment Collapse; Idaho Hospital Crippled by Cyberattack; Bruce Willis' Daughter Shares Father's Story; Bill Cosby Faces New Rape Lawsuit. Aired 3:30-4p ET
Aired June 01, 2023 - 15:30 ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.
BORIS SANCHEZ, CNN HOST: A short time ago, the city of Davenport, Iowa, gave the latest update on the catastrophic building collapse that took place over Memorial Day weekend. Police have reduced the number of those missing to three, saying that two of those unaccounted for have been located.
Meantime, a city inspector has resigned over an administrative error involving a permit for the building. We also learned that the inspector visited the main street structure just three days before the partial collapse. And the mayor has yet to figure out the timeline of when the building will be demolished, which he says will not involve the use of explosives.
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
MAYOR MIKE MATSON (D-DAVENPORT, IA): We are working on a timeline. We are reaching out to experts that have particular expertise in taking it down with a very dignified and respectful way. This needs to be done in a way that it respects that this is a resting place.
(END VIDEO CLIP)
SANCHEZ: CNN's Adrienne Broaddus is in Davenport, Iowa, for us. And Adrienne, you've been speaking to family members of those still unaccounted for. What are they sharing with you?
ADRIENNE BROADDUS, CNN CORRESPONDENT: Well, there are three people as you mentioned, Boris, still unaccounted for. The family of Ryan Hitchcock has accepted the likelihood the person they love may never walk out. By contrast, the family of Brandon Colvin, Sr. says they're still holding onto hope. I spoke with his son who bears his same name. He's been sleeping on the pavement behind me since the collapse on Sunday. Here's more of our conversation.
BRANDEN COLVIN, JR., SON OF MISSING MAN BRANDEN COLVIN: We have finals this week. I tried to go Tuesday to school and as soon as I walked in, I just broke down and was crying. I couldn't do it. Being around all them people, my friends and stuff to see me like that. So, I don't know if I'm going to be able to go to the graduation and be around all them people. I don't know if I could do it. BROADDUS: Would you go in there and look if they allowed you?
COLVIN: Yes, I would. If they told me I could go, I'd run in there right now.
BROADDUS (on camera): And earlier this afternoon someone did try to run inside. A man was able to get around this fence, this barricade that has been put in place, Boris, to keep people out. We saw him obtain -- or taken into custody by police.
Meanwhile, during that news conference, when we just heard from mayor and other city leaders a short time ago, we learned that the families who have been displaced will receive up to $6,000 in assistance. The businesses in this surrounding neighborhood could receive up to $25,000. $6,000 some out here say is a small price to pay. Think about it. These families have lost everything. Memories, documents. Many walked away with their lives, though -- Boris.
SANCHEZ: Adrienne Broaddus from Davenport Iowa. Thank you so much for that report. Brianna, over to you.
BRIANNA KEILAR, CNN HOST: Still to come, a cyberattack targeting a hospital in Idaho, forcing them to send ambulances to other hospitals. We'll have details on that just ahead.
And Bruce Willis' daughter, one of them, opening up about his dementia diagnosis and how it has impacted their family. Stay with us.
JIM SCIUTTO, CNN HOST: An Idaho hospital is under cyberattack without functional computing systems leaving its workers in chaos scrambling to adapt.
Doctors and nurses at Idaho Falls Community Hospital have been forced to go analog now, resorting to old-fashioned pen and paper to chart patients' conditions. Also redirecting ambulances to other hospitals as a result. CNN cybersecurity Sean Lyngaas has more for us. Sean, this began on Monday. It's still, as you were just telling me, under way. Do we have any idea what kind of group is behind this attack?
JIM LYNGAAS, CNN CYBERSECURITY REPORTER: Jim, we don't. As often the case, they're not white speaking out about it, the hackers. They probably are assuming this is a ransomware attack, they may want to give the hospital time to perhaps negotiate a ransom. And if they don't, they may dump the data.
But, you know, dialing back a second, this is still very much a fluid situation. They've shut down computer systems. They're trying to minimize the impact on patient care. They insist that they are able to care for patients and it hasn't been a big impact. However, we know for more than 24 hours they had to divert ambulances, send them to nearby hospitals. So, it's definitely causing some pains. And sadly, this is not a new phenomenon in the United States or elsewhere in terms of during the pandemic these ransomware attacks -- if this is indeed ransomware -- forcing hospitals to change up what they're doing and there are measurable impacts on patient care.
SCIUTTO: Yes, there's a reason they go after health care, right, because they consider the risk of not paying up, I imagine, greater given lives are at stake. Now, as you said, we don't know for sure who's behind this but there has been a pattern of so-called ransomware attacks where groups demand money in exchange for releasing their systems here. I mean, one of the issues has been folks paying up, right, because it incentivizes the system. I mean, is there any other response to a situation like this?
LYNGAAS: You can refuse to pay and if you have good resilience, good backup systems. That can pay off -- no pun intended. However, you know, sometimes when you're in a hospital and don't have the resources -- and I'm not talking about this particular case because it's still a developing situation. But if you don't have the resources to get your systems back online quickly, it may be the best course of action frankly, despite the fact that the FBI counsels victims not to pay because it encourages more attacks.
But if you are talking about critical patient safety choices, then you might be best to pay off. In this case we don't know. They are still responding to it. We are waiting for an update from the hospital, but it's definitely something that the Biden administration has tried to cut down on in terms of cracking down. Trying to lean on the Russian government, if that were ever possible --
SCIUTTO: Yes, I remember.
LYNGAAS: -- to curtail these attacks, but it's still a problem today in the U.S.
SCIUTTO: Back when the U.S. and Russia was talking, there was a specific request from Biden to Putin was to try to crack down on these groups. Sean Lyngaas thanks so much -- Brianna.
KEILAR: As beloved actor Bruce Willis battles frontotemporal dementia, his daughter Tallulah is sharing some very personal observations about her father's decline. In a new essay for "Vogue" magazine, Tallulah writes that she was in denial about his illness for years because of her own issues.
But now she says, quote, I can savor that time, hold my dad's hand and feel that it's wonderful. I know that trials of looming, that this is the beginning of grief, but the whole thing about loving yourself before you can love somebody else, it's real.
CNN's Chloe Melas is joining us with more on this story. Chloe, tell us a little bit about Tallulah's own struggles that did make it hard for her to accept her dad's diagnosis. CHLOE MELAS, CNN ENTERTAINMENT REPORTER: Yes, this incredibly poignant
essay which she penned, like you said, for "Vogue." She's one of three of Bruce Willis's daughters that he had with Demi Moore. And in this she says that she was struggling with anorexia and that she was so consumed with her public image and consumed with her weight and her eating disorder and her treatment that she didn't realize truly what her father was going to. And at times the family would chalk it up to hearing loss. From being in movies like "Diehard" and that they really did not truly know that it was as serious as FTD.
I want to read you a little bit more of what she said. She said I kept flipping between the present and the past when I talk about Bruce. He is, he was, he is, he was. That's because I have hopes for my father that I'm so reluctant to let go of.
And as we have said before, FTD, according to the Mayo Clinic, it is a disease that affects the parts of the brain that allow you to communicate. And that he has been showing these signs for years, but he finally got this diagnosis, Brianna. And the family, including his ex-wife, Demi Moore, they have put on a united front in sharing with the world, with his fans on social media what he is going through.
KEILAR: Yes, I'm sure those are some words that so many people can connect with. Chloe Melas, thank you -- Boris.
SANCHEZ: News just in to CNN, another woman accusing Bill Cosby of rape has just filed a lawsuit in California. What a former Playboy model is claiming happened to her, straight ahead.
SANCHEZ: Just in to CNN, Bill Cosby is facing another lawsuit over alleged sexual assault. The accuser is former Playboy model Victoria Valentino who says that Cosby drugged her and raped her more than five decades ago. The suit was filed under a new California law that temporarily lifts the statute of limitations on civil sex assault cases.
CNN's Jean Casarez joins us now with more on the accusations. So, Jean, what are you learning?
JEAN CASAREZ, CNN CORRESPONDENT: Well, this is the California Sexual Abuse and Accountability Act. And under the complaint, which we're reading right now, Victoria Valentino is alleging sexual assault and sexual battery at the hands of Bill Cosby. And Victoria Valentino, I want to tell you, she flew from California to New Jersey, and she was at the trial every single day in that jurisdiction, Pennsylvania, before Bill Cosby was convicted of aggravated sexual assault --which that verdict was overturned.
But in her current complaint -- and this is civil -- she's alleging that in 1969 -- so we're talking 53 years ago -- that she was auditioning for a role. She was in the trailer of Bill Cosby. He was there. That she took out a picture of her 6-year-old son who had just drowned. She was very distraught. She was showing him the picture.
Later in 1969 she's at a restaurant, Cafe Figueroa in Los Angeles. Bill Cosby is there. She is still emotional about her son. He says to she and her girlfriend who were there, you need to go to a spa for some treatment. Do that, my chauffeur will pick you up, we'll go to dinner afterwards. They did that. At the dinner she says that he put a pill by her dinner plate along with her friend. He took a pill himself. She believes he feigned it. That it was not really him taking the pill.
Then she took it. She felt woozy. He said, let's go to my office, I want to show you some of my trophies. She said that she woke up and she saw Cosby trying to assault her friend. She tried to intercede. He came and he sexually assaulted her. Those are her allegations at this point.
This is a California court. We do have a response from Bill Cosby that we've just gotten. Victoria Valentino has skirted from town to town promoting her alleged allegations against Mr. Cosby to anyone who would give her platform without any proof of facts. However, it is more deeply disturbing and disappointing that our lawmakers will push forward these look-back windows. What graveyard can Mr. Cosby visit in order to dig up potential witnesses to testify on his behalf?
But one thing we must note, from that criminal trial, there was a deposition in 2005 where Mr. Cosby said under oath that he would give quaaludes, drugs to women he wanted to have sex with.
SANCHEZ: Important new details in that case. Jean Casarez, thank you so much for that -- Brianna.
KEILAR: CNN is about to close out an era. We are live outside the CNN Center in downtown Atlanta where hundreds of employees -- these are our co-workers. I hope they see us. Are they waving? They have gathered. This big change is coming right after this. Stay with us.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Take a letter, Mike, queue him. Queue you up.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes, I can use with the World Trade coming up.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Standby, ready to take three, Mike here.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We just need to kind close a little bit.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Well, OK, take 3.
Ready, 13 full. Ready camera three. One center up.
DAVID WALKER, CNN ANCHOR: Good evening. I'm David Walker.
LOIS HART, CNN ANCHOR: I'm Lois Hart. Now here's the news.
KEILAR: All right, that was the very first broadcast to air on CNN 43 years ago.
SCIUTTO: I love, now here's the news. Simple and sweet.
KEILAR: And while that is not typically a milestone birthday -- I like to celebrate everyone -- but typically 43 is not milestone. There is a big yet bittersweet celebration that is happening right now. This is live pictures coming to you from CNN World Headquarters. If you've ever visited downtown Atlanta, well, there's a good chance you walked right by it. You probably snapped a little selfie with those three iconic big red letters touring over the sidewalk out in front of the building.
And right now these are our colleagues, hundreds of employees, both current and former, they are gathering around this local landmark for one final photo there. No, CNN isn't going anywhere, but the employees of CNN Center are relocating. And actually for some of the true OGs, they're going home. They're going back to the same campus where visionary Ted Turner launched his little 24-hour news network 43 years ago today.
SCIUTTO: Goodness. It's quite a moment. There are a lot of memories there. Folks certainly at CNN so attached to that location. If you've ever been able to visited there, I mean there's a lot of history in that building.
KEILAR: That escalator, the tour.
SCIUTTO: The globe.
KEILAR: Yes, the globe, the tour. Have you been on the tour, they ask.
SANCHEZ: It's also been the center of a lot of news out of Atlanta as well. A lot of things happening with the social justice movement a few years ago, demonstrating just outside. It's also a personal anniversary for me. I've been at CNN now, eight years.
KEILAR: That's right.
SANCHEZ: Pretty long.
KEILAR: Eight years today.
SCIUTTO: And so --
KEILAR: Here we go. That was really loud.
SANCHEZ: And maybe a fire hazard.
KEILAR: OK, here we go. Oh my God, that was -- SCIUTTO: That's for Boris and it's for CNN.
KEILAR: That's a safety violation.
SANCHEZ: Thanks so much for being with us this afternoon. "The Lead With Jake Tapper" starts right now before the fire department comes in and scoops us out of here.