Return to Transcripts main page
CNN Newsroom
Russia's War On Ukraine; Maldives Recovery Mission; Late Night Send-Off. Aired 4:30-5a ET
Aired May 18, 2026 - 04:30 ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.
[04:30:00]
ALAYNA TREENE, CNN WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENT: -- Virginia to discuss the path ahead on the Iran war. Now, this meeting came just one day before the President posted on Truth Social quote, for Iran, the clock is ticking and they have better get moving fast or there won't be anything left of them. Time is of the essence, he wrote before signing off, President DJT.
Look, all of this comes as in my conversations with different Trump administration officials, they tell me that Trump has grown increasingly frustrated not only with the perceived divisions within Iran's leadership that he believes is preventing them from coming to a compromise on a potential deal, but also is growing impatient with the continued closure of the Strait of Hormuz. He's also been in recent days closer to wanting to resume combat operations in Iran than he has been throughout the cease fire, my sources tell me.
Now, I will note that the China trip was a question. You know, a lot of people said he was waiting to make a decision on how to proceed to see if diplomacy was perhaps more viable after he sat down face to face with Xi Jinping. However, he returned to Washington with the state of play on the Iran war seemingly unchanged. Now, he has a major decision to make about whether to go forward and order more strikes or to try and continue to give negotiations a real chance.
Now, I will say my sources tell me that he wants and prefers to strike a deal with Tehran. But also we know that the Pentagon has put together a different menu of options really for the President to move forward if he does order more strikes. Among the targets, I'm told, include strikes on energy and infrastructure inside Iran. Now, all of this comes as we're told that the President is expected to convene again with his national security team early this week.
Alayna Treene, CNN, the White House.
POLO SANDOVAL, CNN ANCHOR: And Russia has launched a fresh wave of strikes on Ukraine. The Ukrainian air force now says that more than 500 drones and 22 missiles targeted the country overnight. Most of those were intercepted, several regions were hit including Odesa.
And according to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, one drone struck a Chinese-owned vessel. And this comes just one day after Ukraine launched more than 500 drones in a massive attack against Russia, killing at least four people. Ukraine says that its forces targeted facilities in the Moscow region over the weekend, including an oil refinery and two oil pumping facilities.
Joining me now from Kyiv is Oleksiy Sorokin. He's Deputy Chief Editor with the Kyiv Independent. Oleksiy, it's always great to have you with us. Thank you so much for joining us.
OLEKSIY SOROKIN, DEPUTY CHIEF EDITOR, KYIV INDEPENDENT: Thank you for having me.
SANDOVAL: With this multi wave assault against Moscow, what message is Ukraine's military sending directly to the Kremlin and then perhaps even sending to the people of Russia.
SOROKIN: Well, first of all, this assault came immediately after Russia bombed Kyiv and killed 24 civilians. An apartment building collapsed in the middle of Kyiv last week. And Zelenskyy promised a response. This is Ukraine's response.
I want to point out that Russia entered this war on a childish assumption that if it bombs Ukraine, Ukraine won't bomb it back. And Ukraine is right now proving a point. And yes, as you pointed out, I think the main target here wasn't a specific oil refinery, but it was the population of Russia for them to understand that this war will hit them back as well.
Russia wanted 9th of May parade. It asked Donald Trump to intervene. And now Ukraine shows that if it wants, it can reach Moscow without problems.
SANDOVAL: And we know, to that last point that Ukraine has actually struck Moscow, dozens of times since the war started. Looking into the future, Oleksiy, do you think that we'll continue to see these kinds of pretty significant strikes?
SOROKIN: Well, Ukraine right now, especially in the past three months, has a capacity to strike deeper inside. Russia has better equipment to do so, has missiles, has drones. We know that Ukraine is planning on increasing those attacks. And the main goal here is for Russia to feel the war that it's waging on Ukraine, right?
Obviously, the number one priority is striking oil refineries and different military bases. And so, I see this as Ukraine's only chance at delivering some kind of victory, right? Delivering some kind of result and to show its own people that Ukraine is able to fight back.
SANDOVAL: Is there any sense that this may be perhaps -- are people hopeful that this may be coming to an end in the coming months? I mean, just bring us up to speed on that.
[04:35:07]
SOROKIN: I don't think people think that the war is going to end this year in the coming months, but it's definitely lifting morale here in Ukraine after what we saw in Kyiv as a deadly, horrible attack that killed children, killed residents in their sleep. In Kyiv, 24 people were killed by Russia last week. And for Ukraine to be able to strike back, it's definitely a morale boost and people can continue with their life during war and see that Ukraine is able to fight. But I don't think this will in any case bring the war to an end.
SANDOVAL: Yes. And then also when we look ahead to the expected meeting with the Russian leader and the Chinese president, you know, looking at some of those remarks from Putin earlier this month where he addressed that upcoming meeting with his Chinese counterpart, what do you expect to come out of there? We heard President Putin talk about his hopes that Russia could be getting closer to striking an energy deal with China.
SOROKIN: Well, unfortunately for Ukraine, China is all in on supporting Russia, but it also is hesitant to sign any major, major deal. I think President Trump plays a part here. China is balancing its relationship a bit, at least publicly. It still delivers dual use goods.
It still provides Russia with a lot of equipment that then is used to strike Ukraine. But in terms of a deal, I think China here is attempting to, first of all, get more out of Russia because obviously Russia is on its back foot. And also it's hesitant to provide any public deal to not anger President Trump during these negotiations with the Americans.
SANDOVAL: What a month it's turning out to be in Beijing. Oleksiy Sorokin, as always, thank you so much for your time and for your reporting.
SOROKIN: Thank you.
SANDOVAL: Well, happening this hour, some of the world's top divers have started a new and very dangerous recovery mission in the Maldives. They joined the ongoing search for four Italian nationals who died in a scuba accident just last week. The body of the group's dive instructor was already found shortly after the incident.
Well now, the highly expert Finnish team have started their complex search in the caves that the Italians were exploring. Actually, they're staging just outside of those caves, trying to orient themselves with the area before going in. CNN's Barbie Latza Nadeau with the latest.
(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)
BARBIE LATZA NADEAU, CNN CORRESPONDENT: The divers who are part of the Divers Alert Network are experienced in deep cave diving. On Friday, a 43-year-old rescue diver from the Maldives also perished while searching the underwater caves. The body of Gianluca Benedetti, the instructor who led the fatal dive, was recovered at the mouth of the cave after the group failed to reemerge from their excursion to the caves on Thursday.
The other victims include Monica Montefalcone, an associate professor of ecology from the University of Genova, and her daughter, Giorgia Sommacal, who was a student in biomedical engineering at the institution, Federico Gualtieri, a marine biologist and researcher, Muriel Oddenino, also perished in the tragedy. An investigation is now underway to determine why the experienced divers had surpassed the 30 meter depth limit down to the caves since some 50 meters below the water surface, according to an Italian prosecutor who has opened an investigation into the incident.
The 20 Italians who were on the Duke of York boat but who were not part of the cave dive were flown back to Rome on an Italian military flight on Sunday, according to Italy's foreign ministry. Barbie Latza Nadeau, CNN, Rome.
(END VIDEOTAPE)
SANDOVAL: An investigation is currently underway after two US navy fighter jets collided during an air show in Idaho on Sunday. Officials say that all four crew members from both of these jets you see here in a moment, you see those bursts of lights. That's actually the crew members that are ejecting from the aircraft. They're able to parachute safely down to the ground, medical personnel taking care of them shortly thereafter.
The gunfighters' air show was taking place near the Mountain Home Air Force Base. That base went into lockdown following the crash and the remainder of that show was canceled.
A truck driver is said to be seriously injured but in stable condition after his truck was hit by a train in Chesapeake, Virginia. Last Thursday's accident, it was caught on camera.
[04:40:00]
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
SANDOVAL: Police say that it looks like the driver ran a stop sign before making his way onto the tracks. His injuries were initially thought to be life threatening. The collision also left a spill of hazardous material, but police say that there was no immediate danger to the public.
In the US midterm elections are less than six months away and public dissatisfaction with President Trump's economic policies seems to be at an all time high. After the break, CNN's chief data analyst Harry Enten will help us break down the numbers.
(COMMERCIAL BREAK)
SANDOVAL: Rising gas prices and the high costs of living are emerging as top voter concerns headed into the US midterm elections this year. And right now, data showing that Americans aren't very happy with how President Trump is handling the economy. Let's go now to CNN's Harry Enten to run the numbers for us.
HARRY ENTEN, CNN CHIEF DATA ANALYST: Look, we got some new polling out today that really puts emphasis on what a deep hole President Trump is in, because I want you to think back to the 1980 election between, of course, Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan. Of course, Reagan asked in their lone debate between the two of them, are you better off than you were four years ago? He asked that to the American public.
And when it comes to a very similar question, Americans are saying they are not financially better off when it comes to Trump's policies or because of Trump's policies. Take a look here. This really is the name of the game. Trump will or is making you financially worse off or better off.
You know, when Trump was reelected to a second term back in the fall of 2024, the plurality of Americans said that yes, his policies, he will in fact make you better off, 44 percent, 38 percent said worse off.
Look at where we are now. Look at how that better off number has fallen through the floor, now just 14 percent. Just 14 percent of Americans say that Trump is making them financially better off.
[04:45:00]
Now the lion's share, the clear majority, 57 percent, a jump of nearly 20 points from back of the fall of 2024 now say that, in fact, Trump is making you financially worse off. That better off has dropped by 30, 30 points in just a year and a half's time. My goodness gracious.
And it gets even worse when you dig deeper into the numbers. Because just take a look here. Look at Independents. Oh my, oh my goodness gracious, or as I might say, oy vey. They look at this, Trump will or is making you financially worse off, better off.
In October of 2024, among Independents, it was this near even split, but the slight plurality, 40 percent said better off compared to 38 percent who said worse off. Look at where we stand right now. That worse off number up like a rocket, we're talking 64 percent, a jump of over 25 percentage points now say that Trump is in fact making them worse off, about two thirds of the American public.
And look here on the better off number, look at this decline. A drop of over 30 points, drop of over 30 points, just 8 percent. When you can count it on your hands, when you can count it up, and this is eight, eight digits up in the air.
When you can count on your hands, you know you're in big trouble when you're Trump. Look at this, better off dropping from 40 percent to just 8 percent. Just 8 percent now say Trump is making them better off. What a devastating number for a man who is reelected to a second term in large part because Americans thought he would fix the economy.
Now, Independents, of course, are key for elections, right? They are key to the senate of the electorate. Which way Independents go oftentimes is the way the nation goes. But, of course, there's a big part of Donald John Trump's base that is white voters without a college degree. That was the big reason why he won in 2016. It was the big reason why he was reelected back in 2024. They've been a solid block for him. But on this issue, on this question, even they are abandoning the President of the United States. Look at this, okay, Trump will or is making you financially worse off, better off. Back in October of 2024, the clear majority, 54 percent said better off, look at that, compared to 30 percent, just 30 percent who said worse off when it came to Trump making them financially or will make them financially worse off or better off.
These numbers, it's a flip flop now, look at this, pretty much the inverse. Now, 52 percent, 52 percent of white voters without a college degree, Trump's base now say worse off. He's making them worse off, just 15 percent. Look at that, that's a drop of nearly 40 points, a drop of nearly 40 points of white voters without a college degree saying Trump's policies would make them worse off.
Look, you just look at all these numbers and you just go, boy, this is a presidency in some real dire straits. Back to you, my friend.
SANDOVAL: Harry Enten, thank you. The late night lineup on American TV is rapidly changing. Stephen Colbert kicking off his final week hosting "The Late Show" on CBS just ahead. With prompt at the end of the show, and what's next?
(COMMERCIAL BREAK)
[04:52:00]
SANDOVAL: Late night talk shows in the US, they have a long and storied tradition of showcasing A-list stars, comedy and also plenty of social commentary. And for CBS late night show host Stephen Colbert, that commentary helped drive an end to his long run. And this is his final week on the network, which says that ending the show was actually a financial decision.
But Colbert's outspoken criticism of the Trump administration probably also played a role. CNN's chief media analyst Brian Stelter with more on this end of an era.
BRIAN STELTER, CNN' CHIEF MEDIA ANALYST: Well, Stephen Colbert is going out with a smile this week, but he's also signing off with plenty of jokes at CBS' expense. CBS and parent company Paramount decided to cancel Colbert show, "The Late Show" last summer, but it's been on the air ever since, giving Colbert a protracted period to say goodbye to his millions of fans.
And now the final week is here and the promotional listings reveal a few clues about what to expect. Tuesday night's new episode features two A-list stars, Colbert's longtime friend and producing partner Jon Stewart, as well as the director Stephen Spielberg. Wednesday's episode will feature a performance by Bruce Springsteen, and Thursday's actual series finale, well, it's going to be a surprise.
No guests announced in advance and there's really no reason for CBS to do so, because all eyes will be on that finale no matter what Colbert does or who he invites. Now, Colbert struck a really interesting tone in public about this cancellation, saying that two things can be true at the same time.
He says it might be true, as CBS has said, that it was purely a financial decision to end this iconic late night franchise. CBS has said that the program was losing money and the entire business, of course, the broadcast TV business is being upended. But he says it's also true that CBS and parent company Paramount had bent the knee to the Trump administration.
President Trump had been a longtime critic of Colbert, calling for Colbert's cancellation. And of course, Colbert has been a very outspoken critic of Trump, well, for a decade now. So Colbert said in an interview with the New York Times both things can be true. This can be a complicated move by CBS.
He also said that he wants to go out on a positive note. He said, "I've really liked working with CBS. They've been great partners and I'd like to end it that way. Eleven years is a long time to work here." He said, I feel so much better to be "grateful for than to be mad about," so trying to end on a positive note.
However, many outside analysts, TV critics, observers, they say CBS is diminishing itself by giving up on the late night franchise. Here's veteran analyst Bill Carter, formerly a CNN contributor. Here's what he wrote in the Times this weekend. He said having a late night star on the air most weeknights has been a powerful statement, affirming that the broadcasters were still in the game, still offering original programming taped before a live audience that viewers showed up for year round.
He said, successful hosts became their network's signature stars. And getting out of the late night business and parting ways with Colbert, he says, is a version of CBS diminishing itself and shrinking in the eyes of the public. Now, CBS is going to put on a taped roundtable talk show called "Comics Unleashed" with Byron Allen in that late night time slot after Colbert signs off.
[04:55:12]
But it's a very different kind of show. No band, no couch, no interviews with celebrities. It's a move away from the traditional late night business.
Of course, ABC still has Jimmy Kimmel. NBC still has Jimmy Fallon, but it's a big change for the broadcast world in the US to have Colbert signing off this week. Brian Stelter, CNN.
SANDOVAL: The CNN Flash Documentary, "Colbert: The Last Laugh." It examines the legacy of one of America's most influential comedians. And it's now available to stream on the CNN app, so make sure you check it out.
Pro-golfer Aaron Rai has become the first Englishman to win the PGA Championship in over a century. I want to show you that 70 foot birdie putt on hole 17. It all but sealed spot, atop a highly competitive leadership board. Several major champions, they started Sunday's final round trailing American Alex Smalley, but Rai's eagle putt on the ninth hole that set off a chain reaction with several more birdies boosting him to a winning score of 9 under par.
Southwest Airlines says that robots are no longer allowed to fly. A bot named Stewie took his first and now we know his last trip on a US airliner earlier this month, before he flew to Las Vegas, Stewie gave some high fives to travelers and even showing off some dance moves, no doubt, ready to be put to use in a Las Vegas club. A new policy later went into effect that actually bans human like or animal like robots from being transported in a plane's cabin or as checked baggage regardless of size or purpose of the bot.
Southwest Airlines saying that the primary concern about having a robot on board, it's a risk from a large size of the lithium ion batteries that they use.
Thank you so much for joining us. I'm Polo Sandoval in New York. We leave you now with CNN HEADLINES EXPRESS.